CBD Oil & Melatonin—Should I Combine Them for Sleep Aid?
Posted by CBD Lion on on Jun/Tue/2021
In our fast-paced world, getting sufficient and quality sleep is essential. It’s recommended that adults from age 18 to 60 get at least seven hours of quality sleep each day. Sometimes adults who struggle to attain long-lasting or restful sleep use alternative methods ranging from exercise to over-the-counter sleep aids. While there are many different treatments available, melatonin and CBD oil are two popular natural supplements for restful sleep. Let’s learn everything you need to know about CBD and melatonin.
Melatonin for More Restful Sleep
Melatonin for More Restful Sleep
Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pineal gland that is crucial in regulating the body’s sleep-wake cycle, known as the circadian rhythm. Typically, your melatonin concentration lowers during daylight hours, allowing you to stay awake. However, if your body doesn’t produce enough melatonin, you may have difficulties achieving adequate sleep when the sun goes down.
Natural Melatonin and Melatonin Supplements
Various things may alter natural melatonin production, including age and exposure to artificial light. Studies have shown the production of melatonin decreases after the age of 60. This is mainly attributed to calcification of the pineal gland and decreased sensitivity of the melatonin receptors.
Melatonin supplements offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- Treating insomnia
- Delayed sleep-wake phase disorder (DSWPD)
- Reducing sleep latency
- Balancing sleep cycles for individuals completely or partially blind
One report suggests melatonin may also provide the following benefits:
- Reduce blood pressure in people with insomnia
- Reduce stroke damage
- Enhance the impact of cancer treatments
- Reduce effects of obesity by lowering inflammation
- Slow mental decline in people with dementia
Effects CBD and Melatonin Have on Your Circadian Rhythm
How Melatonin Manages Your Circadian Rhythm
Melatonin production usually starts a couple of hours before you fall asleep. When you’ve slept for about six hours, melatonin decreases, and you soon begin to wake up. Sometimes your internal clock is altered by ubiquitous screens, long-distance travel, electric lights, or central heating. When this happens, your body’s melatonin production is thrown off, and you may find yourself in need of a melatonin boost. Although the FDA hasn’t approved Melatonin as a sleep aid, research indicates melatonin is safe, non-addictive, and probably effective for jet lag and other sleep-cycle disruptions.
Can I Take CBD Oil With Melatonin?
Why CBD + Melatonin Makes Sense
We live in an era where we don’t have to depend on sleeping pills to remedy insomnia and restlessness. Fortunately, some alternatives may not cause as many side effects as synthetic medications. CBD and melatonin are two of the many alternatives to sleeping pills.
On its own, melatonin is a solid sleep aid. Putting melatonin in CBD oil creates a combination product that has the potential to help a wider range of individuals. By combining the general calming effects of CBD with melatonin’s ability to maintain circadian rhythms, taking the two in tandem may help people feel relaxed enough to fall asleep and achieve restful sleep.
CBD and melatonin, when taken together or separately, are not known to cause dependence or addiction. Once you’re set on a dose that works for you, it may possibly work throughout the course of your treatment. However, due to possible drug interactions, your doctor should know the amount of CBD and melatonin you’re taking.
Melatonin and CBD for Pets
Dogs are also susceptible to having their sleep cycles disrupted. In addition, they feel anxiety and stress as humans do. Luckily, there are products like CBD and melatonin that are dog-safe and can help calm your pet. No dog owner wants their best friend to suffer from separation anxiety or loud noises like fireworks. To help your canine companions feel their best, be sure to consult your veterinarian before administering your pet with CBD. Learn more about the full lineup of CBD Lion flavorless tinctures and baked treats for dogs.
Products That May Treat Your Sleep Issues
CBD Lion has several CBD options that may help manage your health issues. Remember to talk to your healthcare provider to determine if CBD treatments are the right option and make sure no drug interactions or concerns exist. If you want to use CBD Lion’s tinctures, edibles, or capsules to potentially alleviate sleep ailments, check out our products online and select the one that’s right for you.
*These products and statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All studies in this article did not use CBD LION products and should be treated as anecdotal.
- 1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep (2016). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Kuhathasan, N., Dufort, A., MacKillop, J., Gottschalk, R., Minuzzi, L., & Frey, B. N. (2019). The use of cannabinoids for sleep: A critical review on clinical trials. Experimental and clinical psychopharmacology, 27(4), 383–401. https://doi.org/10.1037/pha0000285
- Karasek M. (2004). Melatonin, human aging, and age-related diseases. Experimental gerontology, 39(11-12), 1723–1729. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2004.04.012
- Mayo Clinic Staff (2022). Melatonin. Mayo Clinic.
- Felman, A. Everything you need to know about inflammation (2020). Medical News Today.
- Lionel H. Opie, Sandrine Lecour, Melatonin has multiorgan effects, European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, Volume 2, Issue 4, October 2016, Pages 258–265, https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjcvp/pvv037
- Carter, W. (2020). What is the Endocannabinoid System? An Introduction to the ECS. cbdMD.
- Cacciatore, C. (2020). Can I Give My Dog CBD Oil For Anxiety and Stress Support?. cbdMD.